I know, it sounds weird to many people. Every time new people join one of my juice cleanses or our Health Mastery Community, there is always a person or two who sees a few of the recipes with onion in it and says “can I do the juice without the onions?” Of course, the answer is always yes! You can always tailor a cleanse to your individual needs.
But I always respond with the 15 reasons why you should at least CONSIDER adding some onion to some of those juice recipes. And, what’s great is that almost everyone who is skeptical in the beginning, ends up either really liking the taste of the onion in savory juices (similar to soups that have onion), or at least they don’t mind it so much.
Onions are a powerful healer, consider trying out the recipe at the bottom!
Here are just some of the reasons why onions are included:
1. Anemia: The high content of iron in onion makes it beneficial for the treatment of anemia.
2. Anti-coagulant: Just by eating or juicing half of a medium-sized raw onion daily can help prevent heart attacks.
3. Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory agents in onion are useful in reducing the symptoms of inflammatory conditions including arthritis and metabolic syndrome (inability to lose weight).
4. Antiseptic: Onions have bacteria fighting properties that can help against E.coli and salmonella, and has shown to be effective against tuberculosis and infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis.
5. Blood pressure: Whether you eat them raw or cooked, onions help to lower blood pressure naturally. They also help clear the blood of unhealthy fats.
6. Cholesterol: Eating half a medium raw onion daily significantly helps to lower the LDL cholesterol.
7. Colon Health: Onions contain fructooligosaccharides that can stimulate the growth of good bacteria in the colon and help reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon.
8. Constipation and flatulence: Onions can help relieve chronic constipation and flatulence (gas).
9. Diabetes: Onions contain chromium which helps the body regulate blood sugar and can help bring down the insulin level and improve glucose tolerance.
10. Diuretic: Onions can dramatically reduce fluid retention, helping the body to debloat.
11. Immune booster: Onions can help increase blood circulation and cause sweating, which is extremely useful to help the bodies natural ability to sweat out colds and flu.
12. Osteoporosis: A compound has recently been identified in onions that prevents the activities of breaking down bone. This is especially beneficial for women who are at risk for osteoporosis as they go through menopause.
13. Respiratory: Onion juice mixed with maple syrup, taken 3-4 teaspoons per day, helps liquefy mucus and prevents its further formation. It is also one of the best preventives against the common cold.
14. Sexual Function: Onions contain aphrodisiac compounds, second only to garlic. For this, the white variety is most effective.
15. Urinary tract infection: The anti-bacterial properties in onion juice can help to relieve the burning sensation in urination.
PIZZA JUICE RECIPE!
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/4 of a Green Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Spinach
- small handful of Basil
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion
- 5 carrots
Juice and Enjoy!