I’ve been drinking quite a bit of turmeric tea and juice lately. Turmeric is often talked about these days, but few people truly know the amazing benefits of this inexpensive amazing spice.
To date, over 5,000 medical studies have found over 600 potential health benefits of turmeric! It’s no wonder it has been used for over 6,000 years.
The major benefits of turmeric come from a polyphenol known as curcumin. Curcumin has been found to fight cancer stem cells, reduce inflammation of all types within the body, reduce depression, protect against radiation damage, and help prevent Alzheimer’s disease. The amazing thing about turmeric is that all of the “side-effects” are positive, unlike the side-effects of drugs like Advil, Tylenol (acetaminophen) and other liver-damaging drugs.
My personal favorite ways to use turmeric include drinking turmeric milk made with fresh coconut milk, sipping on warm ginger turmeric tea, brushing my teeth with turmeric paste (amazing gum health and tooth whitener), juicing it fresh with carrots and ginger, and of course, using it to season many of the plant based dishes I cook at home.
Some of the many benefits of turmeric include:
1. Easing arthritis symptoms
2. Reducing inflammation of the gums
3. Soothing an upset stomach
4. Reduced risk of prostate cancer. Studies have shown that turmeric in the diet can reduce the risk of prostate cancer, one of the most common cancers affecting men. Cook up some cruciferous vegetables like kale, broccoli and cauliflower (also known for reducing cancer risk) with turmeric for a super healthy anti-cancer meal.
5. Healthy Heart
6. Therapeutic effect on Crohn’s disease
7. Can ease symptoms of depression
8. May help lower cholesterol
9. When applied topically, can help with acne and other inflammatory skin conditions
10. Balancing blood sugar levels, a great benefit for those with diabetes Type 2
11. Can relieve headaches
12. Can aid in liver detox
13. Immune System Booster
14. Can help lower blood pressure
15. Can lower colon cancer risk
16. Can lower levels of cortisol, great for those who have trouble losing weight due to high stress levels
17. Can act as an antibacterial when applied directly to the skin
18. Can help empty the gallbladder, helpful for those with afflicted gallbladders
TURMERIC SPICE HEALING MILK
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (my favorite for this recipe is coconut milk or hemp milk)
- 1 tsp powdered turmeric, or 1 tbsp fresh grated turmeric
- 2 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1 dash black pepper, or 1 drop black pepper essential oil (assists with absorption of turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground star anise
Blend all ingredients together in a blender or mini-blender, and enjoy. Drink immediately, and at least 3 times per day if working to heal an inflammatory condition.
To check out some of the many studies, see here: