Salads are one of my favorite meals. I think the reason I love them so much is because there are truly endless versions of an incredible lunch or dinner. There are countless greens to choose from, lots of different fruits and vegetables to add in, crunchy additives like a few nuts or seeds, dates and raisins, figs and apricots and so much more! But the most fun for me is creating healthy vegan dressings that do not contain toxic oil. Sometimes I put a tablespoon of Hemp oil on a salad with some dill and lemon, especially great when massaged into kale. It’s the perfect way to get important Omega 3’s. But, I always cringe when I see a recipe for a beautiful salad accompanied by a recipe for dressing containing lots of olive or canola oil. So toxic. An unpopular topic at times, because the Western world has been having a dysfunctional love affair with olive oil for quite some time. But I digress.
I truly love hemp for its taste, texture, and of course health benefits. Here are 9 of those benefits:
1. Hemp seeds are an amazing vegan source of biologically available and easily digested protein.
2. Hemp seeds contain all 10 essential amino acids. And just 3 Tablespoons of Hemp Seeds = 11 grams of protein!
3. Hemp seeds contain magnesium, important for over 300 metabolic functions in the body.
4. In addition, hemp seeds contain GLA (gamma linolenic acid) which is a building block of good anti-inflammatory hormones.
5. Because of the GLA, hemp seeds can help support a healthy metabolism and help fat burning.
6. Hemp seeds can help hormone-related issues like PMS.
7. Hemp seeds can help decrease inflammation.
8. Hemp seeds can help lower bad LDL cholesterol.
9. Hemp seeds are a rich source of calcium, phosphorous, and iron.
There you have it! So if you are in need of a delicious creamy dressing for your salads that you can whip up in under 2 minutes, this is it! I made this the other night and enjoyed every garlicky creamy bite!
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- a few leaves of parsley or cilantro (optional)
Blend together in high speed blender until fully smooth and creamy. Pour over your salad and enjoy!